It was a Darkan Stormy Night

Seriously, it was dark, stormy, raining like crazy and probably not the best of weather to be driving in. But it wasn’t that bad. No trees down, a bit of water over the road, nothing serious.

Until, about half-way through our 3 hour drive to a course that was to start the following morning, when E and I broke down.

The work ute sputtered, all the dash lights flashed on, the fuel gauge read empty, and it halted to a stop.

Fortunately, it did so in Darkan, at the roadhouse (for you non-Australians, that’s a gas station). Seriously, stopped right at the pumps!

Unfortunately, the roadhouse was closed, but the pub next door was open, and we popped in to ask for help.

Fortunately, Darkan is a small town, and it only took a few minutes for one of the locals to call up Stewy, the local mechanic, who came down and rescued us.

It turns out something had pierced/damaged/cut/ruptured the one way valve that takes fuel from the tank to the engine.

The tank was very empty, and the car was not going to be going anywhere.

Fortunately, it was an easy enough fix, once the parts arrived, so we left that in Stewy’s capable hands.

And fortunately Mat was willing to drive out to retrieve us and drive us on to our destination.

Also fortunately, Stewy and his wife were incredibly kind and hospitable people who let us sit in their warm and delightful home while we waited for our ride.

We arrived at our destination otherwise unaffected, though a few hours late, spent our two days at a very good, very intensive course, and learned A LOT, and prepared to come home, pick up the work ute on the way and have a great tale to tell upon our return.

Unfortunately, unbeknownst to us, the good folk at the roadhouse arrived at work at 5:30am and discovered the ute. They called the number on the side of the door, but of course, no one answered the office number. Well, duh! We’re all away on a course and it’s 5:30 in the morning! 🙂

So, they, being good citizens, contacted the police to report the ‘abandoned’ vehicle.

A few hours later, when Stewy got to work at the more reasonable hour of 8am, got everything organised and picked up the vehicle with the tow truck around 9am, it was discovered that the police had been contacted.

No matter…

Until the following day when the police followed up the inquiry, and unfortunately, no one at work knew what the heck had happened!

Oops! 🙂

Didn’t that cause a stir!?

All is well, of course, and everyone is safe and the vehicle repaired and back home, and most everyone had a good laugh and enjoyed our little adventure! 🙂

I can’t help but remark how GOOD this bad thing was!

I mean, if you’re going to break down on a dark and stormy night, could there have been a better place? In town, at a fuel station (which, for the record, had a canopy, so we were out of the rain most of the time).

And could it have worked out more conveniently than for the mechanic to pop down personally, sort things out, chat with both our husbands, and make arrangements for us to stay warm and dry while we organised late check in with the hotel and waited for our ride?

And could it have been any more ‘knight in shining armor’ for Mat to drop everything, take two days off work and drive out to retrieve us? Seriously, who does that? 🙂

Mat does 🙂

It was certainly an adventure and a learning curve for me! The last time I had a car break down on me was when I was 16 and it was the crappest car in the world.

But maybe that’s a story for another time.

Have you got a great break-down story? 🙂


I'd much rather know what you think... let me know :)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s