I decided some posts are just good enough to read twice So I am carrying on with my “Top Tuesdays” where I will re-post some of my older posts that were popular, well liked, or that I thought were particularly awesome.
This post from July 2011 just made me chuckle a little. I was all goal oriented at the beginning of the year (coming off the 2010 high of Blackwood Marathoning) and working hard on so many things. Oh how far I have not come in the last two years 🙂 Comments and updates in black, original text in blue…
I haven’t really been focusing on a lot of my goals lately, and thought it was time to sharpen the pencil and see what I intended to accomplish in 2011 and how I’m going with achieving those goals.
Goals set in January:
- Theme for the year: Criticise Less and Praise More. I really hope I have been doing this. I know lately I sound like a big whiney baby, but really, I have been trying to be more positive in my dealings with others. Hmm.. so I’ve been whining since 2011? Man, I have GOT to get more positive 😛
- Travel to Canada – Yes! And it already seems like a lifetime ago. Hey! I’m doing it again this year 🙂 YAY!
- Renovations – deck and back room – started the deck and not even close on the back room, and don’t imagine it will get done this year. That back room is a monster of a project! However, some inside stuff is underway, and that’s a real bonus. Oh dear! The deck still isn’t finished. Though it is now a deck. World’s longest deck building project. EVER. And the back room? You guessed it – not even a twinkle in my eye.
- Cert IV (Personal Training) – I intend to do this in December 2011 in a three-week intensive program. However, there are changes afoot (more about that in a later post) which may change the plan a bit … but I hope it won’t! This is really something I should ensure I still get. DID IT!! GOT IT!! Don’t really use it but so glad to have it.
- Save more money – yes, I have been saving towards Christmas, but haven’t put aside any money to get the car serviced. That was actually a good idea and I should get onto that. I didn’t bother getting the car serviced. Not in the last two years. (Anyone want to buy a great car? ;P) But I did save money. And have paid for another trip to Canada! 🙂 YAY!
- Earn more money – does the $0.50 cost of living increase count? A second job is really not viable right now, so this goal was probably unrealistic. What was I even thinking?
- Family connections – I feel that I have been keeping in touch just a little better than usual, though still not as good as I’d like. But there has been an improvement and it’s really nice when you make those little touches. I think it really brightens up both people’s day! Still my weakest link. I am not my mother’s daughter. At least not in this regard.
- Horse Riding Lesson Weekly and Restart Nero – uh, yeah, you’ve been with me for this one… not exactly going according to plan and a re-adjustment of goals is going to be necessary. Possibly something like “handling my horses daily” might be in order. I got TK restarted this year and was riding him a little at the beginning of this year, but he got a little wonky on me. I started working with him almost daily for a whole week after some less than stellar behaviour problems with him, and then fell out of the habit. Nero is just getting fat. Remind me again why I have horses? Is it because I apparently have money to burn? 😛
- Swear Less – well, that plan came and went and I still swear like a sailor. Even in my head, I swear. Seriously, I should stop swearing! Maybe I should revisit this goal and try again. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH I still swear like a sailor! And I think it rubs off on all my staff and friends. Even my very lovely Aunty swears in front of me now. I am sure this is not her natural way…
- Stop Interrupting – nope, still do that heaps! Likewise, these small habits will really help improve my communication with people and everyone will benefit. Another one really worth revisiting. Actually, I think I have gotten better with this. Or I’m just not paying enough attention.
- Grow our garden – only if weeds and self-sown whatever’s-out-there counts 🙂 hehehe But I was just thinking the other day that a great weekend project would be to just grow a whole bed of spinach. I love spinach with a capital ‘L’ and that would be a good way to get started again – growing something I know I’m going to eat! Oh wouldn’t that have been nice? I can’t believe our gardens have been dormant for over 2 years! They were growing vigorously while I was training for the Blackwood through 2010. It seems to me I got MORE done in 2010 when I was training like a fiend than I have in all the years since.
I recently set another goal of running the 12km City to Surf on 28th August, and have been working towards that goal, albeit in a slightly sporadic kind of way. Can you guess how I did at that? LOL And here I am now, aiming at simple 5km races… I should be a marathoner by now… Damn you Plantar Fasciitis!!
I set 13 goals at the beginning of the year, and really have only made progress on 5-7 depending on how you judge ‘progress.’ I wonder if this is partly due to some of them being a little unrealistic? Or if I just haven’t been focused enough? Maybe my focus has changed? I do feel that I’ve stalled over winter, and really lost sight of what it was I wanted to see happen this year. But looking at these has brought a few things to light that I’d like to revisit and try to re-focus on:
- Criticise Less and Praise More
- Swearing Less
- Interrupting Less
- Growing the Garden
- Finishing the Front Deck
These ones jump out at me most. Sadly, I want to put the horses on the list, but I am not ‘in a good way’ right now, and really need a much more positive mind-set to truly enjoy my time with them.
What about you? If you look back on what you hoped to accomplish this year, do you feel you’re moving in the right direction or do you feel a bit stuck?
As I said, it just made me chuckle. Really, it’s the same old story isn’t it? Year after year, we plug away at the same old things. Maybe getting there with a few things, but really, left to our own devices, without setting the goals, would I have been any further in front or behind? Or right here where I am?
Maybe I need a goal-less year? 🙂
If you had to look back on your life from two years ago, what would you see? How different would things be? What about looking forward two years? What would you hope to be different? The same?