I am currently learning a new Body Balance routine, which I have to teach on Monday, and it’s already Wednesday. Hmmm … I have noticed that I go through several stages while learning a new routine. I am currently in stage 4. I hate stage 4. 🙂 Luckily it brings a quick start to 5, which is where I needed to be since stage 1! Maybe one day I’ll actually eliminate stages 1-4 all together!?
Stages of Learning a New (pre-choreographed) Routine
1) Denial: Oh yeah, no worries, gimme a few hours. She’ll be right, this one doesn’t look too bad.
2) Reality: I better put a little more effort into it. Sun Sals, Abs, Back, Twists, Standing Strength … seems a little trickier than I originally thought. I’ll schedule my training times.
3) Procrastination: I know I missed that training session, but I’ll just do a longer session tomorrow…
4) Panic: I’ll never learn this ever! How will I do this? I didn’t give myself enough time! Now I only have a week to learn this WHOLE THING! Ack!
5) Focused Effort: training, training, training, training, killing myself, training
6) Music and Movement Knowledge: I know what to do, I can hear it in the music, and it’s pretty automatic, but how do I tell others how to do this too?!
7) Cueing Memory Loss: What? Now I have to *talk* while I’m doing this? And get all the options out? And make people understand what I mean? Suddenly I have lost Music and Movement Knowledge!
8 ) Fusing: it all comes together and I can fumble it all out and get everyone there and teach it adequately.
9) Flowing: It all just happens automatically. I can finally LOOK at my participants to see how they’re doing and give them specific praise or corrections.
10) Boredom: Please, can we do something new? I am sick to death of saying the same thing over and over, and these songs are boring me! Let’s freshen up and start at #1!!
The stages for doing your own choreography are much more complex and include such stages as ‘over-analysing music selection’ and ‘it seemed like a good idea at the time’ followed often by ‘music selection regret’ or ‘great move goes bad’. Maybe I’ll take the time to post that up some day! 🙂