Here are a few of the more tangible things I want to accomplish in 2011:
- Travel to Canada prior to Ray going back to Afghanistan in April. We are aiming for mid-March to mid-April and a 4-6 week trip if possible.
- Renovations. Front deck and back room repairs to house, plus essential landscaping around house. Basic interior painting and decorating. I am personally exhausted with waiting for it to be the ‘right time’ to do these renovations. I am sick of the mice and snakes getting in through the back wall because it is falling apart. It’s time to take action!
- Business equipment for mobile services. Mat’s business plan includes providing mobile welding services. There is quite a bit more equipment he is going to need to purchase in order to make the service completely viable. I don’t know how I can help, but I hope I can!
- Mat’s trade qualification ticket. For all his skill and the fact that he’s worked in the industry for ages, and even owns his own business, he does not have his ‘ticket’ which will be essential for getting work in certain situations (mines, corporate contracts, overseas (there goes my mind, planning again… 🙂 ))
- Andrea’s Cert IV in fitness. I’d also like to complete my fitness training so I can start doing Personal Training.
- Horse riding lessons weekly, finding TKs niche. While I can, I want to ride lots and lots and see where TK really shines. I’d like to work him in-hand, dressage, jumping, cow work (though he seems scared of cows), reining, trail, western pleasure… just play with everything and see what works best for him. I have a sneaking suspicion he’s a little jumper!
- Restarting Nero and having him a capable riding horse. This has been mentioned before and I even got started, but with the holiday season on us and the guests and travel, this has taken a back seat for the time being. Once we’re back on ‘real time’ I’ll get started again.
- Swear less. Yeah, I really need to work on this. I want to remove the s-bomb and f-bomb from my vocabulary. I rely on those two words and their colourful variants too heavily. Surely there are some creative ways of expressing myself without their use. Many people do it every single day! So, goodbye swear words!
- Earn more money. This one might be a bit tricky. I have a full-time job that has variable shifts. I can do extra hours at the pool, but not too many, just a few hours on weekends. Other options possibly available to me to earn more cash include night fill at the grocery store or night cleaning at WAMCO (the slaughter-house). Maybe there’s some online opportunity that I could look into? If I get my Cert IV (PT) maybe I can do some PT outside regular hours?
- Save more money. This will be a real challenge unless I earn more money, because I already stretch my dollar pretty well. And I am going to be spending more in 2011 on the horse (lessons), and more on travel (Canada), and more on renovations. However, I want to save for Christmas so it’s a little less painful. I also want to set aside a larger emergency fund in case of unexpected vet bills, car bills, etc. It would be a wise idea to determine the cost of vehicle servicing and try to set aside that money as well. At the same time, reducing the cost of bills and saving money where possible will be essential. And of course, this on top of eliminating the other debts we have (which are relatively small, but still matter!)
- Family connections. Christmas reminded me how much I enjoyed my family and I want to work harder on building and maintaining my family connections. I would like to be more aware of what is going on in their lives and just stay in touch a little more. I haven’t got a rock-solid plan on how to tackle this one, but I’ll come up with something! Why do I need a plan, you ask? Well, because it doesn’t come easily or naturally to me, so I need to practice until it becomes second nature.
- Grow our Garden. Due to massive flooding in the eastern states, produce prices are expected to double, as fruit and veg crops are destroyed over there. We’ve also had flash flooding and drought here in the west, so we’re not doing much better with the local stuff. So, by getting the garden growing again, we’ll be able to save money and feed ourselves better. And there’s so many other good reasons for growing a garden, too!
Funny, there’s no real fitness goals in there. I want to build and maintain my fitness, and was originally thinking of a half marathon in May, but I’m not sure now. I want to feel really compelled towards my goal, as I was with the Blackwood, otherwise what’s the point, really? I am sure it will reveal itself as I get more into the year and back into full-swing.
What do you hope to accomplish in 2011?